I love chicken teriyaki and asparagus and brown rice is healthy so why not put all this together in one dish? The meal turned out great but I would change one thing. The Korean teriyaki sauce I used was way too salty. I’m going to go back to the Panda Express Mandarin Teriyaki sauce which is sweeter. I’m so excited that Panda Express has bottled some of their signature sauces and made them available in grocery stores. I have found their sauces consistently at Giant Food Stores. Anyway, this is a super easy meal and the presentation looks great with minimal effort. Don’t forget to sprinkle on some sesame seeds for a more finished look.
Chicken Teriyaki over Brown Rice with Asparagus
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 60 mins
- 1 lb. Chicken Breast
- 1 tbsp. Vegetable Oil, plus some for drizzling
- 1 bottle of your favorite teriyaki sauce
- 2 cups Brown Rice
- 4 cups of Water
- 1 lb. Asparagus
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional: Sesame Seed Garnish
- Add 2 cups of brown rice and 4 cups of water to your rice cooker. Select the brown rice option and be prepared to wait to begin other preparations for around 30 mins. (I forgot that brown rice takes much longer than white rice to cook!)
- While the brown rice is cooking, you can cut your chicken into one inch pieces and place them into a medium sized skillet with one tablespoon of vegetable oil. I wouldn’t start cooking your chicken just yet because you’re still waiting on your brown rice. I would start the chicken once it’s been about 45 minutes since you started your brown rice. Cook your chicken on medium-high until it is golden brown.
- Now you can preheat your oven to 425. Wash your asparagus and allow the excess water to come off on paper towels. Trim off an inch or so from the bottom where the stems are like little tree trunks. Place the asparagus in a large bowl and drizzle vegetable over them so they can be coated. Crack fresh black pepper and salt onto the asparagus to taste. (Sometimes I add a little garlic salt or other seasonings I like that are in the kitchen. Make it your own!) Spread the asparagus spears out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and roast in the oven for 15-20 mins. (The asparagus will be pretty soft at 20 mins, the way I like it! For more crunch use less time.)
- Once your chicken is done, drain the grease onto a plate lined with paper towels. Add the chicken back to the skillet and pour the bottle of teriyaki sauce over the chicken. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- When the brown rice is finished, scoop a serving onto a plate, top with the teriyaki chicken and sprinkle some sesame seeds over the dish. Serve asparagus alongside the chicken and rice for a nice pop of green color. Enjoy!
I hope the teriyaki chicken, brown rice, and asparagus turn out better than expected! Hopefully, the few tips shared above that I learned along the way will be helpful to you as well. Enjoy this healthy meal that looks and tastes fantastic. Don’t forget to leave a comment or picture of your creation here on my blog. For more foodie posts follow me on Twitter @AshleyBHinkle.